26 dec 2008

Caroline Kennedy Talks with NY1’s Dominic Carter


New York, NY, December 26, 2008 –In her first television interview since declaring her interest in Hillary Clinton’s Senate seat, Caroline Kennedy tells NY1 Political Anchor Dominic Carter:

On the Senate seat: ‘I would be an unconventional choice’: “Well, there are many qualified people for this position. This is the governor’s choice. This is not your typical kind of selection process. But I think, I would be an unconventional choice - I haven’t followed a traditional path, but I think I bring a lifetime of experience to this. In my family public service is really the greatest honor anyone can have it’s a legacy I cherish and that I’ve tried to live up to my whole life.”

On her brother: “Right now he would be laughing his head off. There is no doubt about it…That was the kind of relationship we had. He was 100 percent behind me, he always was. Ya know, it would be great if he was here.”

On her mother: “She believed in doing the unexpected and living life on your own terms.” “Most people don’t realize, my mother loved campaigning because you get to meet people, it’s such an education, and of course she would roll her eyes about the whole thing but she was an incredible patriot herself and I think she would be really proud that I’m doing this.”

Would she be in this position if she wasn’t a Kennedy? ““If my last name weren’t Kennedy, maybe I would have run for office a long time ago.”

On Hillary: “We are losing a tremendous advocate for New York, even though our country is gaining a great Secretary of State when Hillary Clinton ascends to the state department. I think we need somebody who is going to be able to be heard and deliver for this state and I would love to be that person.

She admires J. LO. Is she the political equivalent of J Lo as Congressman Ackerman said? “I admire the journey J. Lo has traveled. I’ve been to a school in the Bronx near the house she grew up in and so I actually have a lot of admiration for her and she looks pretty good but in terms of public policy and as we spend our adults lives and I don’t think there is really much we have in common.”

On reports that she has missed votes in several elections: “I was dismayed by my voting record.”

No Child Left Behind a Success or Failure? “it’s never been funded adequately… not a fair test’

On her private life: “Everybody has tough moments. I've lost family members that I love and that I miss everyday and so has many, many other people has dealt with an ill parent the loss of a family member and stuff and that's a part of life I think I share those experiences with everybody else and if there's ways I can help other people who are suffering some of the same things I have gone through I would love to do that.”

See more of Caroline Kennedy’s first interview tonight on NY1’s Inside City Hall at 7pm and at 10pm.

Geen opmerkingen: